Sunday, August 28, 2011

Warhammer: Build A-bomination


It occurred to me that one of my guides has unintentionally been left out from this blog. Not really sure why. Maybe it has something to do with its age, as it was done about two years ago or something.
Nonetheless I decided to bring it back. Maybe it will inspire someone out there, even though it might not be that relevant anymore.
I am of course talking about the all important guide to make your very own Skaven Hellpit Abomination. Now, I hear the choir out there screaming “LOL ITS ALREADY THER NUB!” and you’re perfectly right, kids. It is. And the official Abom from GW kicks utter ass. It’s an awesome, awesome model. You should go get it. Right now. Along with the other fantastic BBE-monsters released. They look so awesome and frankly make me consider buying them even though I don’t play their respective armies.
And I’m not getting paid for saying so, btw. I just like GW.
Either way, I’m getting ahead of myself.
The Skaven Abom is in no doubt one of the most potent weapons in the destructive arsenal (see:http://negativethac0.blogspot.com/search/label/Warhammer%20-%20Skaven%20Battles )capable of inflicting severe havoc upon the unsuspecting enemies. I’ve often heard Skaven players (disturbingly) use the term ‘Abomination-virginity’ about players that haven’t met these horrors in combat before and therefore decided to show them less attention. And of course those who never thought bringing fire along was a great idea.
To me it was shocking to realize that GW hadn’t in fact released any official model for the abomination, when I started playing back then. It certainly did bring back some painful memories of my former Dark Elf army, in which my poor hydra had devolved into a large box of matches with angry eyes painted on. I therefore decided to set out and build my very own Hellpit Abomination. This was my very first creative Warhammer-project besides actual painting and to be honest, it didn’t turn out THAT bad. Needless to say, it pales in comparison to the official model, but hey, it had its fifteen games of fame or something like that.


Geared up and ready for war. I likely spent around 15£ on this.


Back then there was a lot of discussion about the base size. Some people preferred chariot, others hotly argued that the base for the screaming bell was most appropriate. I simply decided to cut out a base the same size of the doom-wheel’s in light wood. As you can see, I didn’t pay much attention to this as I expected the fat abom to cover most of it.


An abom needs wheels and gears. I found the perfect source at the local toy store.


Frankly, I had no clue what exactly I was going to find there. I just took my chances.


It took a lot of work destroying this damn car. I suppose kids are a lot more violent these days, ‘cause in the end I had to utilize both screwdrivers and hacksaws to tear it apart.


I felt a bit like an idiot, once I finally scavenged the parts with potential. Anyway, I needed wheels. The cogs would make a nice addition.


Nothing is as fearful as an ox which makes this animal the perfect candidate for the majority of the body.

I’m sorry Ox.
The back and front was cut off with a hacksaw and later filed down with sandpaper. The reason for doing so is that this model would otherwise become really big.


White clay was used to model the rest. I made sure the creature looked both deformed and obese, although today I would’ve spent a lot more time making additional details in the flesh. Afterwards everything was undercoated white.


There were some cracks once everything was dry, which was remedied with ol’ faithful green stuff. This was also used for applying the wheels.


12 hours later the parts were added. Now, this is pretty much like the fun part of making a pizza. Use your imagination; add whatever you find to your liking. I had lots of old Skaven heads lying around, plus tons of parts from chaos spawns, so this was no biggie.


Bolts from the toy car and an old computer cabinet were also used.


Another white coat was added. In hindsight I could likely have spared the first one, but hey.


The model was painted in approximately this order:
Base coat of Tallarn Flesh
Highlight of dwarf flesh followed by elf flesh
Wash of Gryphon Sepia
Repeated highlights of dwarf flesh and extreme elf flesh till happy.

It extremely simple, I didn’t want to fool around with this that much. It’s one huge lump of flesh, after all.


The chain I bought from one of those stores selling cheap jewelry that looks expensive. The shop assistant happily believing I was off to surprise my girlfriend with a gift. Haha.
The chain itself is easily glued on.


The hind leg was originally another wheel, but it really ended up protruding way off the base. Instead it was given another lumpy part of flesh to push the monster ahead. It worked wonder.


The green stuff really does show behind the wheel, but on the table top it’s nearly impossible to spot.

I added a tiny rat running the gears. Nothing special, just a nice detail.


The final product is an abomination that I still bring in my games. As said, it’s nowhere as impressive or detailed as the official one, but this one is mine! I think this is worth considering to everyone, as I am sure there are some brilliant minds out there capable of conjuring up some really impressive builds and ideas. Plus it’s a great way if you’re still new to the hobby and want to save some money while building up your army. I’m pretty sure that you could easily spend less than I did, if you did your research. I frankly just rushed to town and bought the first and the best. Creativity is fun like that.
If this guide has inspired you in any way, please feel free to add a comment or link me to your own models. I love to see other people’s ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment