Friday, October 7, 2011

Warhammer: Painting the Hellpit Abomination

I suppose I should throw out an initial disclaimer; I might not be at my sharpest in this blog. I haven’t slept all that much and as the upcoming content will show, my attention has been narrowly focused during the previous five hours or so.
I recently finished the paint-nightmare known as the Skaven Hellpit Abomination, a thing that I’d barely name a ‘miniature’ due to the sheer size of the thing. Well, compared to miniature-standards at least. Or…
No,just fuck it. It’s huge.
(Click to enlarge)
I actually love huge models. They’re a blast to paint and often provide you with some challenge since you can’t just drown out the overall picture with tons of tiny details to cover up your flaws. If you do a crude job people will likely notice. As will you when looking at mine.
Why do a crude job on such a centerpiece of a model, you ask? Well, I wouldn’t exactly say it’s crude. It’s what I decided for it to be and in all honesty I didn’t want my abomination to be Golden Demon material. Not that I ever would, to be honest, but for me it’s important that my army looks representative on the battlefield and I’m frankly quite happy with the final result.
In many ways the Hellpit is such a peculiar model; design- as well as painting-wise. The assembly is not as agonizing as one might expect. It’s involving but certainly nowhere near the Doomwheel. At the core there are some possibilities of customizing but ironically not as many as you might think. Certainly, the possibilities for personal modification are (as always) near limitless. It’s not that the model really needs to, in my opinion, since it shines so well and looks the part on its own. This truly IS an abomination at its own rotten core and pretty much what I’d expect back when we had to make our own.
It’s also god damn huge as it should be, which from a psychological standpoint makes it an even bigger magnet for shooting and magical attacks. For good and ill, I assume. It wasn’t exactly covert to begin with.
I had to do some jiggling and brute-forcing during the assembly. Not trying to pin anything on GW here, but I’m sure there was a flaw in this particular model. No matter how hard I tried a part of the chest refused to click in line. Not a biggie since the painting concealed it so well, but it’s good to notice. In general you’ll be fine if you stick to the manual and make sure NOT to glue the wheel and the motor on before you’ve painted them all. Otherwise you’ll create a huge disadvantage for yourself later.
When it comes down to painting the abomination is particularly great because there is no wrong way to paint it. In fact, if you often make things look hideous you might be in for a treat. Sticking with standard procedure I inspected a lot of abominations painted by others and the diversity was enormous at times.
In the end I went for something along the standardized Games Workshop guide, adding my own touches along the way. It’s the way I work best.
A thing that really did put off this whole process is the fact that the skin went horribly wrong, for some unknown reason. Tallarn Flesh – Elf Flesh – Bleached Bone is an old trio that usually never fails me but this time something went awry. It was basically one big lump of Elf Flesh at the end of my first attempt, so I did a thorough wash of Badab Black and started all over. Whereas smoother, also a lot more time consuming.

(Click to enlarge)
Along with the stitches, heads and warp stones the skin is one of the funny features to paint. On the other hand the tail, spikes, motor, claws and bony protrusions became really boring. You’ll notice that I actually forgot to finish the nails on the claws and that the hind-motor is really bland. Maybe I’ll improve this later but I frankly doubt it.
The final goal was to have an impressive and decently looking abomination that would compliment my remaining skaven-army. It’s no secret that I absolutely love these monstrosities in my games and usually bring two along, which means that at some time I’ll have to undertake this ordeal once more. Up until then I’ll just have to make do with my DIY-version, which isn’t half bad anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with AdFly and make cash from every click on your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete