Monday, October 10, 2011

WoW: Orgrimmar - Gold never sleeps pt. 2

Hi, everyone! We’re back! It’s another great rainy Monday morning and time to refresh the blog. I want to catch on pretty much where we left the last time and talk a bit about gold making in WoW, my latest addiction in an addictive game.

Last time I spoke about some of the sites that caught my interest and inspired me to set out on my new project: To become a rich bastard. Not a thoroughly concrete goal, I must admit, albeit a realistic and fascinating one. Especially once you consider that I’m already a bastard.
Setting a definitive amount as ‘the primary objective’ didn’t click well with me. Instead it’d be much more interesting to see how much I could possibly scrape together and how little effort it would take.

One of the primary sites of inspiration has been The Auctionhouse Addict (http://ahaddict.blogspot.com/) not only for strategies but also motivation. It’s quite evident that the owner of the site has been trading in grand style and achieved some hefty sums by the pure means of trading. With no intention of insulting the owner of TAA, it’s funny how this rather simple site worked wonders for me compared to several colourful (and shitty) gold-guides.

Thus I began ‘Project Orgrimmar – Gold Never Sleeps’ (POMNS among friends)

What is Project Orgrimmar – Gold Never Sleeps?
Besides an obvious pun of “Wall street – Money never sleeps” there is a solid meaning to this name. But you have to know where I’m coming from with this.
I’m a nocturnal at heart. Hardly any surprise since this tends to comprise the majority of the geek-culture. And let’s not even get into the fact that I spend several waking hours in front of a computer.

In other words, I don’t sleep all that much. Not even when I’m working or attending courses or school. I’m under the assumption that my body will gradually restrict me in this regard as I grow older, so for the time being I love to push it to the limit.

Imagine this for a trader.
Spending so long in front of the monitor usually means I’m able to easily provide the lowest prices on the wares my characters provide. This is so very easily done these days by utilizing Tradeskillmaster to undercut everyone by one copper with a handful of clicks. Additionally, mentioned add-on provides you with great opportunities to replenish your store whenever you’re sold out of a specific item. This means I’d pretty much be in business a lot of the time.

The trick to this is that you can do much else meanwhile. I usually paint my Warhammer-armies in front of the computer while listening to podcasts or reviews (I specifically recommend the entire Channel Awesome-cast). Every fifteen minutes or so I pop into WoW to scan all my auctions for undercuts and relist my wares. If I’m out of stock, I simply craft more.

Was it effective?
POMNS made me more than 25.000g during the first week. Around 3000g was invested in JC-recipes and Glyph Mastery books. In addition I made some attempts at buying low and selling high, which mostly involved enchanting scrolls and ebonsteel belt buckles.

My procedure was something along these lines:

1 – The Add-ons
Most of these are described in my former post on gold making. For the sake of repetition here they are again:

Auctioneer
Tradeskillmaster
Postal
Bagnon
Mysales (I didn’t mention this in the former post, but if you want to check how much you’ve sold this is a really nifty little add-on)

Install them and start doing as many scans with auctioneer as possible (and set your TSM to use the Auctioneer market prices). Alternatively, just scan with TSM. It’s your call.

2 – Picking your niche
It’s often best to decide upon a certain part of the market instead of making attempts at everything. This is often determined by whatever professions you have access to on your characters. In my case I had the following professions:

Jewelcradting (Maxed)
Inscription (Maxed)
Enchanting (Maxed)
Engineering (Maxed)
Alchemy (Maxed)
Blacksmithing (300)

And all the gathering proffs, which shouldn’t matter all that much in this project.

I decided to focus initially on JC’ing and Inscription since these tend to be reliable money-machines. There is usually a huge potential in enchanting as well, but besides from the disenchanting aspect I’ve always been a little intimidated by the overwhelming market of possibilities. So I placed that on hold along with engineering. Making de-weaponized mechanical compansions used to be a tidy profit back in the days but overall engineering never struck me as a goldmine.

3 – Doing the limited-rune
In my former post I provided you with some links to the limited-items routes in Outland and Dalaran respectively. I made sure to do these beforehand and also a few of the ones in Kalimdor.

In my experience, the recipes sold by the vendors in Tanaris, Feralas, Un’goro and Silithus earn the most profit. Maybe it’s a southern thing.

Setting up your TSM for these groups heavily depends on your server.

For the Outland-recipes, I refused to sell them below 50g each. The fallback price was 75-100g.

For the Dalaran-recipes and items I refused to sell them below 100g each. The fallback price was 150g. Some times I was able to sell the pets (specifically the Obsidian Hatchling) for up to 400g. I suppose people really hate going to Dalaran.
I also bought a small supply of shirts at the tailor. The black and purple ones seem to sell the best.

For Kalimdor-recipes it really depends. If they’ve not been seen on your realm for a long time (Hint: http://theunderminejournal.com/) I suggest placing the up to 300g each. If they don’t sell, aim lower.

In general I didn’t bother much restocking these supplies once I started. The sole exception was the recipe for Primal Might transmutation (as this goes for around 150-200g on my server) and the recipes for the philosopher’s stone, whenever I teleported to Tanaris.

4 – Establishing the market; the first half of the week.
Inscription
I began with around 7000g at my disposal and decided to set out firmly with glyphs. After scanning as much as possible during the first two days TSM gave me a pretty good idea about what to make. In the end I crafted the 20 highest selling glyphs and placed them on the AH.

I made sure to check every day for the highly valued books of glyph mastery. After all it’s one additional glyph to your repertoire that separates you from a lot of other players. On my server these books usually go for around 4-500g each but you can alternatively add them to your snatch-list in Auctioneer. At times I found these going for around 50-100g.
Of course also do the daily researches.

The only thing I found inscription being good for besides glyphs is the certificates of ownership which sold on a mediocre basis.

I was very often undercut on glyphs, so doing the cancellation-scan every fifteen minutes or so worked out wonders.

Jewelcrafting
It’s hardly any surprise that red gems sell the best, but there can be a potential goldmine in Jewelcrafting that might be worth giving a shot. Compared to other professions that somehow suffer from the readily available heirlooms, rings and necklaces are still needed in levelling. Additionally, some players like gemming their early gear with good quality gems. At least for twinking purposes. From this premise I did the following JC-wise:

-         Investigated the market for Scarlet Rubies (the Wrath-gems). What makes these special is the fact that they provide the highest stat-boosts possible while still able to socket in items of any level. There were a few uncut rubies which I bought for around 40g each and turned into inscribed and delicate versions, relisted for 90-100g. Alternatively I looked for cheap saronite or cobalt to prospect.
-         Added uncut inferno rubies to my snatch list. On my server the cut versions sell for around 130-150g each so I searched for those listed around 100g, which happened a lot during the weekend.
-         At other times, purchasing cheap Cataclysm-ore is viable. You might ask what to do with the various gems? Here’s what I did:

Rare Gem                                    Action (choosing the highest going gem)
Inferno Ruby                                  Delicate, Brilliant, Bold
Ember Topaz                                 Potent, Lucent, Inscribed, Polished, Reckless, Fierce
Ocean Sapphire                             Stormy, Sparkling, Solid,
Demonseye                                    Purified, Glinting, Accurate, Etched,
Amberjewel                                   Smooth, Mystic, Fractured,
Dream Emerald                              Puissant, (Goes really badly on my server in general)

Uncommon Gem                          Action (choosing the most profitable option)Kuja (at http://kujasgoldmine.blogspot.com/) made a really nifty diagram for the handling of uncommon gems. It sums it up pretty well: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A-A5uH5d4gA/TUxhMqw5p-I/AAAAAAAAABk/ej8nvrHUXV8/s1600/wow+gold+prospecting.jpg

I basically followed the instructions. Otherwise you might consider simply saving all your uncommon gems if you have an alchemist able to turn them into Shadowspirit diamonds. I usually choose the latter, unless Celestial Essences are going very strong, in which case I make Carnelian Spikes and disenchant.

MetagemsAll new to this market I decided to concentrate only on the Ember Shadowspirit Diamon initially. Later I found the recipe for the Reverberating Shadowspirit Diamond for 2000g and decided to make a gamble for it. I sold quite a handful of those, going for up to 200g each.
-         Also inspired by Kuja, I made an attempt at crafting some low level jewellery. This didn’t sell very well at all on my server, which likely meant I set the price too high or didn’t advertise enough. Alternatively people on my server just don’t care about it.

I specifically made:

Aquamarine Signets (Sold one)
Diamon Focus Rings (never sold a single one)
Necklace of the Deep w. 2 red gems (sold one for 200g)
Band of Natural Fire (all down to 100g now and still not selling)

There are other options for you (http://kujasgoldmine.blogspot.com/search/label/Jewelcrafting) so perhaps you’ll have more luck than me.
-         I made one of the PvP-items (the agility-necklace) just for the hell of it. It turned out to sell for 550g, so I might try making another one soon.

Alchemy
I was pretty sure I wouldn’t use alchemy for anything else but the transmutes, so I respecced my druid into transmutation mastery and fired up the production of Truegold. Not that the specialization was that necessary, since I haven’t seen a single procc during the entire week.
Truegold is still a money maker on my server, though. With a going rate of 500g each, even when buying the supplies manually it’s possible to make a profit. Even for 200g it’s a very small amount of work required.

Besides that I only used Alchemy for the production of Shadowspirit Diamonds. I consider trying to make some mana potions since herbs have been really cheap this weekend. Will get back to you on that.

Enchantment?...
Well, I said no enchanting, yes. But with one single exception: The agility enchant. I suppose I’ve been lucky in this regard, but if you have it (or the Spellpower enchant) you might seriously consider looking into it. These enchants are old and obtained from aged content, in my case the Enchant Weapon – Agility is gained through grinding rep with the Timbermaw. The thing with this enchant is the fact that it sticks to all items including heirlooms making it popular for classes such as rogues. On my server essence of air isn’t that available on the AH though, so this is pretty much the only grinding I did. Four of these can be farmed from the elementals in north-western Silithus (it might take a bit of time though) and a single scroll sells for around 600g on my server, mostly because we’re like five people posting it on the AH.

I levelled a bunch of blacksmithing for the hell of it and DE’ed the stuff which I then turned into Stam enchants for the boots and shield. This has sold…okay, for around 25g per scroll. TSM has a build in feature that let’s you browse your AH for specific items providing you with a certain type of dust. A thing I’ve noticed is going really well compared to the item-cost is Infinite Dust. Levelling enchanting takes serious amounts of this and the Wrath-greens are often sold cheap for you to DE into expensive dust. But check your server first. On mine a single stack of Infinite goes for around 130-150g whereas I spend around 45g on the greens. That’s good business.

Shopping on da flipside!
I didn’t bother much with reselling stuff. Mostly because my list of data was nowhere near complete. I did, however, wish to test some of the waters before levelling my blacksmithing to its fullest. This is quite the ordeal but I really wondered whether there’d be gold in making ebonsteel belt buckles.
So one night one of those classical morons decided to post around 30 buckles for 60% of the going rate. Needless to say I dug in and bought 10, now waiting for the market to return to its former self. Whether there is profit to be found here remains to be seen.
Once I get a better feel for the prices I might try out my luck with resale.

5 – Cutting your own throat; keeping up business in the other half of the week
Starting the trade was way more easy than maintaining it. Purchase and craft your stuff and throw it on the AH and then the real fun begins. Keeping an eye on your stock. Luckily TSM has made this a whole lot more easy especially if you’re dealing in gems and glyphs.
I quickly learned that some products do indeed sell way more than others. The all time winner for me must’ve been the Glyph of Unleashed Lightning . Other products are pretty much sure to sell eventually, such as Truegold and metagems.

I always tried to keep the supply up. There will be glyphs that never sell and some I kept making over and over, which is great. I made sure to buy as many books of glyph mastery I could afford and did the daily JC-quest to get more recipes. A few times I attempted new venues such as mysterious fortune cards and cocoa beans from the daily cooking. Although both did in fact sell it wasn’t really much of a profit. Still, everything counts, right?

I noticed an increase in sales especially around 18-19 server time and around 23-00. Likely around the raiding hours. A lot of vanity pets and Outland recipes were sold during the weekend.
Not surprisingly I had to do a lot of cancelling and reposting those days since more players were online. Ironically this was the best time ever to craft more glyphs or gems since most of them were undercutting each other so fiercely. As said the prices of herbs dropped significantly meaning cheaper glyphs for greater profit. I recommend not posting all of them immediately since they might also be pressed in price. I still have some blue gems I hope will become valuable again soon.

I’ve been wondering about where to go next. Glyphs and gems might keep business going for some time to come, but eventually looking into other avenues of trading could be profitable. I’ve been working on my DK (as in getting her out of that annoyingly long starting area) and consider running some leatherworking on her. The risk of course being that people on my server don’t really give much crap about low level items. Alternatively I’ll go for some more tailoring on my priest and see whether the Spidersilk items still sell. Or I’d try out the mana potion production.

6 – Enchantment! Taking it to the next level.
I’m very tempted to look deeper into enchanting, but it’d require that I give it some research about what scrolls are currently in demand. Time that I might not have at the given moment. I will therefore have to get back to you on that one. My current plan is to scour the forums for the most valued enchants for all classes and their speccs and concentrate on those. Often there is an optimal and a poor man’s option when it comes to enchants and starting out with the latter could be an idea.

7 – All said and done
The first week of POMNS was truly impressive. Even with the investments and not counting the wares waiting to be sold, I’m approaching the 20.000gold in just one week. Pretty much doing nothing but posting and crafting. It’s very non-involving and far from time consuming. Certainly one would wonder whether I’d achieved the same results had I not been able to repost as much as I did. I suppose this will show itself eventually as I get less and less time for doing so. In some time I’ll be limited to scans purely at dawn and before bed, so I imagine I’ll see some decline.

Until then; let’s see what we can make of Week 2!
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment