Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The end of a league of extraordinary gentlemen



Way too few updates this month, business as usual, right?

Right.

So, Machinations league officially ended down at our store yesterday. I use the word ‘official’ with some caution, seeing as how it’s been closed for the last 14 days around the globe. At least if you judge by the official PP rules. However, sticking to plans has never been the primary forte of our community, and I’d be lying if I said those extra 14 days weren’t a blessing. Especially seeing how busy we’ve been at the shop, and how little energy I had to paint when I got home. Not to mention how deep breaths I had to take just to fire up a 35+ points game.

My final score was an, despite it all, impressive sum of 94 points. It’s something to be rather proud of, I’ll reckon. There were a couple of things that truly helped me push through to this level.

First and foremost, a friend and I decided to hurl in an Unbound-game. 150pts. All new Warcasters for my side. That meant pretty much throwing in every mini I had, along with no plans and Butcher3, Strakov and that Koldun Lord Woman, Zerkova. Not a bad mix, albeit a strange one. As I went up against Cryx my expectations weren’t high, but then again, my usual Cryx opponent doesn’t play hardball, so after six hours of intense fighting our (We played ‘Last Stand’) I won behind my fortifications.


Unbound, I’ll have to say, is an immensely more fun and tactical experience compared to the ordinary Warmachine. While we agreed that 150pts. Did seem like much for a first game, it’s not really that hard to get into the new mindset. There are some tweaks to the rules and procedures of the turn you definitely need to keep in mind, but once you get it up rolling, I had it working for me after two hours or so. This is definitely something I’ll repeat when the new leagues start next year.


Then there was the painting; I did a lot of that. Since a friend of mine dumped all his Khador in trade for my old Warriors of Chaos, I had the pleasure of finally getting a colossal. It was a daunting painting project, but I pushed through. With two new heavy jacks (berserker and the Drago) it secured a bit more.


Now,


All this being said I didn’t win. Word eventually got out of my streak and one of our best Menoth players slammed in 107 points on the final night, which pretty much taught me the ever relevant lesson. 


While I was kind of defeated about this, I shook hands and I’ll admit he’s a really nice guy who deserved it. I’m not sure whether I’ll try and go for the top next season, seeing how I’ve painted pretty much every little bit I’ve got. I doubt I’ll manage to collect that much Legion of Everblight (my second army) before then, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Either way, it was a grand finale and I thank all my wonderful co-players.


Now it’s about time to lean back a bit and head into autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment