Thursday, March 12, 2015

Cryx pt. 3: Freshly risen from the grave...now what?

Evening, all!

In my recent posts about learning with Cryx, I realized it would probably be a good idea to share with you some of the sites I've used to study up on the undead legions. There are a lot of Cryx related sites out there, and I'm in no way claiming these to be the end-all-be-all. Just saying that, if you're looking, these are by far not the worst places to start.

I know a lot of people would recommend Battlecollege for starters. I used that in the beginning, but somehow I found the information to be lacking and not that much theorycrafting. I imagine this is in order to keep it reader-friendly. It's a good place to begin, I imagine, and for an overview of the entire faction it's decent.

The Cryx sections of the official Privateer Press for a is of course a solid tome of knowledge. I tend to stay far away from internet fora when it comes to seeking advice on power building. They have their moments, but sorting through the flame wars and “This unit suxx!” “NO, U JUST USE IT WRONG NUB!” and so on can be a chore. Luckily, there is some solid information in the stickies there. Some of it pointing on to the best source of information I've found by far.

The Overseer is a site dealing heavily with articles on Cryx and their units. Even though some of them are semi-dated it's a very solid foundation to build upon. It's also very critic and analyzing about things usually taken for gospel on the fora. Actually reading an article on Tartarus that wasn't all “OMG SO STRONG!!” was refreshing. I especially recommend the Compendiums in the side bar. Also; there is a very good (albeit quite long) Podcast with the author, in which he discusses most of the units, solos, jacks and casters of Cryx. You obviously should check that out.

On youtube there is plenty of more information. CounterSlam Faction did a good little video in which they go through some of the casters and units too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8kPO-txVg4
Youtube is likely also a wealth of knowledge for battle reports. Personally, I decided to simply become a member of Miniwargaming.com and go through their vaults. Some of their recorded battles are really good. The site can be somewhat confusing to navigate on at times, knowing where to start or end, but trust me, it's worth it.

Do you have any other recommendations? Feel free to share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment