Thursday, March 12, 2015

Painting Guide: Daemon Prince of Nurgle

Hello again!

As recent posts have stated, I've been working on commission for a Chaos Space Marine player with a gray army. Not usually an ordeal I'd undertake, I was still thrilled for the chance to paint some 40K models. I've always said one of the things that drew me into that universe (if not the ONLY thing...) were the awesome minis. I've never played 40K myself, but it sure looks fun.



But I digress.
I posted a small painting guide on the Nurgle marines some time ago, and just as I'd finished them, my friend turned up with his Daemon Prince he wanted done too. It was the forgeworld one of the not so fresh Nurgle prince of Bel-Warp. The imperative description being 'make him disgusting'.

So I thought I'd share my disgusts with you. Here's how I painted the Nurgle Daemon Prince.
I didn't get to take pictures that much during the process, so you'll have to make do with what I've got. Again, this is with GW-paint. I know a lot of you hate that stuff, but you'll have to use it as guidelines then.

Doing the research
“Disgusting” is such a nice description to paint from. At first I thought about a “Sex and the City” theme; failing that, I thought rotting flesh. Doing the mandatory Google on “rotten flesh” “disease” and “infected wounds” - it wasn't pretty. But educational for sure. Take heart that you're spared for this at least.


I wanted to approach him a bit like the Skaven Abomination – a lumbering pile of flesh, with enough variety to make him stand out with the shitload of little, nice details.

The foundation
I undercoated him white because dead and rotten flesh would be great with a pale tone. Then overbrushed him with black wash.

On top of that, I painted him with Red Gode pretty much all over, except for the wings, emulating his bloody, skinless body. There are so many wounds on this guy that it seemed easier to just paint flesh on top of this instead.
I suppose you can do a wash here if you want.
I also applied some of my favorite blood-paint to this, to make it look really messy. This is the Sanguine 270 from “Sennelier” - it doesn't take very much paint and it really looks like blood. The result was red and gory.


The metal parts were simply done with Ironbreaker. As for the wings, see later entry.

Making a sample
I started out experimenting on his arm, to find a theme I liked. Eventually, I settled for a balanced mix of Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone (around half and half, I think) for the first layer. I left the obvious open wounds red and just did a smooth surface across the skin.
I then went for another layer of 2:1 Bleached Bone and Graveyard Earth. The finally, with a thin layer, I applied Bleached Bone, mainly on the elevated areas or to clear up mistakes.

I then applied some washes. Orange, brown and even greenish works. I mainly used Seraphim Sepia. The trick here is to apply not too much and then, with a sponge or something, dab it gently before it dries, since this gives a slightly “corroded” look to the skin. Then I looked at it, and applied more thin strips of Bleached Bone (mixed with a fair amount of Lahmian Medium, otherwise you risk ruining the wash effect) and repeated till I was happy.
You can go even lighter with white paint if you wish; the great thing about this approach is that it's very open for experimentation. And messing up on Nurgle minis is usually a boon anyway.

So, the first arm was done and while I wasn't completely satisfied, I had a good idea of what I wanted to accomplish. So there we went and repeated for the entire model. This is likely the biggest ordeal for this guide.
Also, it's up to you how many crevices you want to show in his skin. I decided to leave a lot, since it looks better from a distance.


Once done, the real fun begins. Go over the entire body and start applying pure Bleached Bone, maybe mixed with a tad bit of Skull White, to the most elevated areas. Like the heights of the broken flesh, his mouth, nipples...pretty much anything largely elevated.

Then on to the wounds. There are some things that make out for disgusting wounds (again, don't google this shit) – First, the wound itself will likely be bleeding, so I painted the recesses of it red gore, applied the Sennelier Sanguine 270 and called it a day. If you don't have access to this, red wash or just red gore mixed with chaos black and then Gloss Varnish is a good alternative.

The flesh around a wound is usually red and touched by inflammation. Basic red wash thinned down will do this nicely.

Some wounds are so nasty they ooze with infection. You can either imitate this by pure Seraphim Sepia, applying so much it runs, or mix it up with something thicker. I used a drop of Water Effect-goo (I can't find another word for this, sorry) and mixed it with Sepia, thoroughly and then just applied a load to the wound so it would run naturally down his body. Then carefully soaked up the mix from the wound itself, so it wouldn't cover for the good, red blood. I think you can accomplish the same with ordinary basing glue, just you have to use more Sepia and know it's a lot thicker. Try and experiment!

The horns, nails and teeth
Starting with a layer of bestial brown, I added a little bit more Bleached Bone (like, a thin brush worth) and thinned with Lahmian Medium. Applied this almost the way down to the root of the nail/horn. Let it dry. Add a bit more Bleached Bone, apply almost the way down to the root, only this time, not as far as the last stroke and so on till you reach the very tip where it ideally will be pure Bleached Bone. This technique takes some getting used to, but once you've got it it's really, really easy and quick. Lahmian Medium helps a lot here! Or water, if you please. The trick is to keep the paint so thin the layers below show. For the teeth you can add an edge highlight of Skull White and then wash them with whatever sick color you want afterwards. I went for Athonian Camoshade, because it's brown and green in the same go.


The imps and the barrel
The little green critters – I went for a color that would compliment the yellowish theme, so...Golden Yellow, then applied Waywatcher Green for a wash and there you go. Do some red eyes with blood red and add details as you see fit. You can also add more yellow for highlight and was again for some contrast.

The barrel was done with Ironbreaker first, then washed heavily with Earthshade. Once dry, drybrushed again with Earthshade and washed again. Then do edgehighlights with Ironbreaker and you're off. You can do the chips of metal by applying small patches of Sycorax Bronze and then even smaller patches of Ironbreaker on top of those. It looks really well. You can also do Camoshade wash instead on the entire barrel for a green tint.

As for the goo, it was quite simple. I did a basing of Scorpion Green (Moot Green, these days), then washed it with Waywatcher Green. Then I highlighted the natural spots and kept doing this for a couple of rounds till it looked good. You can get the shiny look either by a layer of Gloss Varnish or water effect-goo. I use the Woodland Scenics C1211. It takes a little while to dry, but you can keep applying layers till you're happy about it. You can even wash on top of the layers if you please.

I would have painted the imps here purple or something, to make them stand out, but this wasn't my decision as it wasn't my mini.


The wings
This design isn't mine; it's the one they used on Nagash in the official how to paint-video. I still love it a bunch and has used it on a lot of models so far, seeing how it's really easy to accomplish if you have access to Lahmian Medium.

The ides is; paint the top half of the wing in Incubi Darkness. Let it stretch into the bottom in 'spikes'. On the bottom, paint it with Celestra Grey and make it 'spike' into the Incubi Darkness too. Then wash the gray part with Nihilakh Oxide concentrating on the transition area.

Once done, mix a 1:3 Coelia Greenshade and Lahmian Medium and apply thin washes at the transition. You need a good amount of layers; the most important thing is you keep it thin, otherwise the effect is ruined. It should eventually even out the color.

Then do a 3:1 of Nuln Oil and Lahmnian Medium and wash the Incubi Darkness part, like you did with the horns. Put layers on layers, going a bit shorter down the wing for every layer.

If you're bad-shit confused, I just recommend you watch their video. It shows it off much better. It goes from the beginning and around 10 minutes in. Patience is the most important factor here.


The purple stuff
This didn't end up on the final model, since my client didn't want it. But I'll share with you either way! This was a simple layer of Daemonette Hide, washed with Druchii Violet and then drybrushed with the Lucius Lilac. You can do with Daemonette Hide+Skull White instead, but the new drybrush specific paint really is strange and funny to work with. Simple as that. Add some Gloss Varnish for the slimy effect.

Drool and slime
It just wouldn't do without it. This one you can easily do with Woodland Scenics C1212. Alternatively, use ordinary glue, which is a bit thicker. Add Seraphim Sepia for extra gross.

Done and done!








No comments:

Post a Comment