Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The end of Skorne

So, I might as well just let the cat out of the bag and say that Skorne didn't cut it for me. Or, I'd rather say; Hordes didn't cut it for me. As I wrote a lot about in previous blogs, Skorne was an army that had a huge aesthetic appeal to me and one I really wanted to paint. At the same time, I thought it was about time to get to know the Hordes system better. When I played against Hordes players, I felt they could give their models just about any ability or amount of Fury, and I'd still say “yeah sure, if you say so” - It's not a healthy approach to a game like Warmachine.

So, my understanding of Hordes has increased dramatically and for that I am thankful. I've often found that the best way to learn how to exploit your enemy's weaknesses, is by walking a mile in his shoes and stumble a couple of times. And by gods did I stumble. Also, I have a really nice pair of shoes.

"Don't go, man. It's just a phase, c'mon. We'll find you some nice Bronzeback, how's that?"
Going from Warmachine to Hordes is in the grand scale of things a small step, yet the implications enormous. Whereas Warmachine appealed to me due to its FOCUS management system, I suddenly had to gamble with my resources in a huge investment game that could just as easily collapse in a moment as blow up three jacks in a turn. Add on top of that how you also had to secure enough resources for your caster and the synergy grew a lot more complicated.

A lot of people have told me that Skorne is especially notorious for this, so maybe I did pick my battle a bit unwisely. Also, I only fought three battles with them, all the time using a Fist-list which I found rather interesting; except for using warbeasts which I felt took out all the fun. Playing around with Molik Karn was fun, of course. Shield walled units with plenty of wounds and armor was exactly what I loved about it.

But Hordes didn't cut it for me. It was a valuable lesson, because understanding the rules now allow me to engage Hordes players in a totally different perspective. Of course I wish I hadn't bought half the models for my army already, but they're nice and I'm very happy painting them. Maybe I'll trade them in for another faction one day, who knows?

I really did want to try out that Hydra, though...

The good news in this regard; I decided to move on to my third option on my list, in terms of what I always wanted to try out. And man, was that ever the right decision for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment